Sunday 24 October 2010

First update of month 2!

Hello again to all! First of all, I want to apologise (as I seem to do at the start of all blog posts nowadays), but Skyjacker still hasn't sent the picture of his objective marker for me to upload. Secondly, nobody has actually told me what the scores they have given to each other's stories are just yet. Thirdly, I tallied up the points that I could whilst we wait for the background voting and I am currently in the lead (due in no small part to the fact that I finished first and got bonus points!). Something that has just occurred to me is that we haven't discussed how overall scoring shall be done. A few ideas that I just had where to total all of the scores and find out that way or we could assign a number of points to where you place each month (4 for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd and 1 for 4th) and total those up or some way of combining the two or have two prizes instead of one, where we do each way? Also, maybe a "reader's vote" type thing where someone gets "most interesting stuff" or what-have-you? I'm just typing my thoughts as they happen.

So, before we get too bogged down with random conceptions, I thought that yyou might all like to see the current progress on Stormsoul's scenery, as well as my own! Stormsoul's piece is currently nothing more than a base for her Venom Thicket, made from a cork tile and two sheets of cardboard for resilience and depth. We've spent some time looking for polyfiller to find a decent price (for when we have money!) and some thin gauge, uninsulated wire (to no avail) for us both to use on our projects and any future ones to boot. She plans to make the trees herself from wire (which may also be used for vines) and then coat them with materials to make a tree-tecture. Beyond that, I can;t say her plans (partly because I'm typing this for her and she's asleep!).

My scenery, thus far, is just the protective base for my Raging Torrent sections. I got a little carried away with chopping up cork tiles (believe it or not, there were going to be another 3 long sections!), but at least I have a lot of options now. I measured the pieces to be 10cm wide (the cork tiles were 30cm by 30cm) and the river are is about 7cm wide (the banks are 1.5cm each). I cut half-centimetre wide strips of card to glue onto the banks to raise them a little and give me a marker for the bank's pinnacle, which will be built up uing pollyfiller (when we actually buy it).

As you can tell, I have made a variety of lengths, as well as two different kinds of bends - you may have also noticed that I have placed slab of cardboard in the middle of a shorter section, which is the basis of a ford. I decided that the Dwarfs would likely want easy access to their hold (for themselves, at least) and so purchased a bridge (£2.99 at a local pet shop), which I cut the ornaments (red "stone" balls on the corner pillars - where the black jagged circles are) off of and plan to repaint, add some Dwarf ornamentation and bury into some river and river bed/bank. All in all, quite a lot happening; the next stages are to add pollyfiller for shape and texture, add some sand for silt (although it's a Raging Torrent), add in some rocks/stones (would like to find some nice jagged ones), paint it all, add several layers of PVA glue, 'Ardcoat Varnish the top, add some paint for the crests of the crashing white water and base it! Not much.

As for the other two, not a clue how there's are coming along, but I can't wait to see them! Also, as far as I'm aware, none of us have yet begun our scenarios, which should come out quit einteresting, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment